DAYone.
147tillgraduationnnn.
I have made one too many new years resolutions, one too many promises to keep, and I have never stuck to them. I have sat and thought deeply about what I want for this year, and why it is that I am making another resolution. This year means more to me than any other in my life. Between graduation, moving out, buying my first car, my first tattoo, turning 18, I must still find a way to keep sane, to keep afloat amongst today's pressures for young women, especially black women.
So today, day one of 365, I start. Start my journey, start my commitment to be a better daughter, a better friend, better student, a better Brittany. I have also made a conscious decision to embrace my womanhood by becoming more feminine. Don't get me wrong, I love to do my nails and hair when a situation warrants, or wear dresses and skirts, and look at purses. But that's not me. I am not a girly girl, I hate bright colors, I don't see a reason to be girly past a normal functioning level. I appreciate clean hanes sweats and socks and a good book. I want to be more comfortable in dresses, maybe even buy a pair of heels. But I am generous past words, and my vhange speaks of my love for my best friend and mother. She's my strength, and when I am dolled up and holding a too large hobo, she smiles. All my discomfort is worth one of her smiles. So I plan to do a lot in this year.
Stay tuned.
*bee
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Don't force the girly, girl thing. I never was one. I went through high school in jeans a sweat shirt and a ponytail - and the first few years of college the same way...but never without a date when I wanted one ;o)
ReplyDeleteDresses are overrated - well fitted slacks can be mighty feminine (and downright sexy).
Black is my color - its slimming - just a punch of color in a scarf, tam or peacoat can be enough.
Just 'do you', be real, be drama-free and be hard to get, but be easy to be around...FAAWWABA's* live pretty miserable lives.
My two cents worth.
(*ferocious african american women with a bad attitude)